The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is where you can obtain a California driver license or California identification card. The State of California does not recognize international driver licenses but will accept your home country driver license if it is translated into English. The DMV requires you to present your passport, I-20, I-94 record, and proof of your local address in the United States when you apply. Additional supporting documentation may be required so we recommend you visit the DMV website or contact your local DMV office for more information.

If you plan to study at UCI Division of Continuing Education for more than 2 months and would like to drive during your stay, we advise that you obtain a California driver license. Auto insurance is required for all drivers in California and most insurance companies require a California driver license to purchase insurance.

Review these additional resources before your visit: