Although federal student loans cannot be applied to UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE) courses and programs, students may be eligible to use private alternative education loans offered by a select group of preferred lenders approved by the University of California. These loans can help cover the costs of enrollment fees, certificate fees and required textbooks/materials.
Eligibility is usually based on your creditworthiness. We encourage you to compare lenders by reviewing current interest rates, repayment options, service fees and other details that may be important to you. We also encourage you to research loan options offered by your personal bank or other private lenders.
Calendar of Events
Visit the Academic Calendar for important enrollment dates for the academic year.
Application Tips and Helpful Hints
When applying for a student loan with a UC preferred lender, we encourage you to:
- Apply early. You should try to apply at least four weeks before your classes begin. It normally takes a minimum of 4 weeks for your first loan disbursement check to be available. We will not enroll you in courses without payment, and applying for a loan does not reserve a space in your course(s).
- Verify that you are applying for the right type of student loan. See the preferred lender list above for the correct loan product title.
- Carefully review the terms and conditions of the loan. The loan terms and conditions are between the lender and the student. UCI Division of Continuing Education is not the lending institution and is not involved in the approval/review process.
- Choose the right school. For each lender, be sure to choose the correct school UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE-DIVISION OF CONTINUING EDUCATION – 00131498
- Include only course fees, declaration of candidacy/specialized studies fees and required books/materials in your application. We do not certify housing or living expenses.
Loan Certification and Disbursement
One your loan application is approved, your lender will contact us to certify your loan. We will contact you to confirm the details of your enrollment including the name of the course/program you are pursuing, the quarter you wish to begin, and your intended completion date. We will work with you to set the disbursement dates and amounts according to your enrollment plan.
Once your loan has been certified and details finalized by the lender, your loan checks will be sent to the UCI DCE Student Affairs & Services Office for disbursement. You will be notified when the loan check is available and with further instructions regarding the disbursement.
Loan Deferment Letter Request
UCI DCE provides verification of enrollment for student loans for UCI DCE programs only, including certificate programs, Concurrent Enrollment, and International Programs. UCI DCE’s verification letter includes dates of attendance and enrollment status. UCI DCE does not participate in Title IV Federal Financial Aid programs. The UCI DCE Records office will not complete any section of the in-school deferment form provided by the loan provider. There is a $20 fee to Order Verification of Enrollment. Verifications for Summer Session enrollments are processed by the UCI Registrar’s Office. For questions, contact the UCI DCE Records office at email@example.com, Monday-Thursday, 9am-4pm (Pacific).