Participants Gain Valuable Skills in the Execution of Popular IT Programs
IRVINE, Calif. – December 16, 2010 – – University of California, Irvine Extension announces five new information technology courses for the winter quarter. Courses will benefit information technology developers, administrators and industry professionals by providing the knowledge to configure, implement and troubleshoot programs for both Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and MySQL. With Microsoft SharePoint 2010 capabilities enabling companies to respond even faster to changing business needs, the course provides both students and companies the opportunity to learn new skills and processes that save time and effort, as well as lower training and maintenance costs, allowing more time to focus on higher business priorities. As MySQL is the world’s most popular open source database, students will gain a better understanding of how the various applications work together to enhance business operations. Courses begin January, 2011 with registration currently under way.
“These course offerings further UC Irvine Extension’s commitment to providing cutting edge development and instruction for information technology professionals,” says Dr. Dave Dimas, director of UC Irvine Extension’s engineering, sciences and information technology programs. “Many of today’s administrators and developers use both MySQL and Microsoft SharePoint daily, and these courses provide the foundation for the successful use and implementation of these programs, in addition to the expertise necessary to provide enhanced services for employers.
Participants will receive certified course materials - allowing for the best start towards the information technology industry’s highly sought-after certifications. With instruction taking place at state-of-the-art lab facilities adjacent to campus, students work with well-respected, industry-leading course instructors.
New MySQL courses include:
• “MySQL for Developers” (Five course meetings from Jan. 24 through Jan. 28) - covers essential MySQL statements, and provides a foundation for developers planning on designing applications that make use of MySQL 5.0+ and above. Topics covered will include configuration and optimization of MySQL, managing the structural characteristics of a database, debugging MySQL applications, and creating and managing triggers.
• “MySQL for Database Administrators” (Five course meetings from Feb. 21 through Feb. 25) -provides instruction on new 5.0+ features such as creating and using stored procedures, triggers and views, in addition to securing user privileges, access controls, and set limitations. By the end of the course, participants will be able to install and upgrade MySQL 5.0+, configure MySQL server options, and utilize both MySQL monitoring tools and the Administrator Graphical User Interface.
• “MySQL Performance Tuning” (Five course meetings from March 21 through March 25) - is designed for administrators and other information technology professionals who wish to monitor and tune MySQL. Students will gain knowledge of tools for monitoring, evaluating and tuning. Participants will also be equipped with the skills necessary to develop a tuning strategy, evaluate hardware, tune the server, examine storage engines and properly access the application architecture upon completion of the course.
Course instructor Victor T. Wu, M.S., is Chief Technology Officer and co-founder of EmpowerTrain, an Irvine-based company that offers high-end training on technologies including Oracle Database, Sun Solaris, and Microsoft technologies. He has worked in the information systems field for the past 25 years as a developer, information architect, director and Chief Information Officer. Wu received UC Irvine Extension‘s Distinguished Instructor Award in 2003 and UCLA Extension‘s Distinguished Instructor Award in 2007.
New Microsoft SharePoint 2010 courses include:
• “Microsoft SharePoint 2010: Configuring, Managing and Troubleshooting” (10 course meetings from Jan. 11 through March 15) - provides students with the skills to install, configure and administer SharePoint 2010. Topics covered will include configuration, troubleshooting and optimization of SharePoint performance.
• “Microsoft SharePoint 2010: Developing and Customizing Applications for Microsoft SharePoint 2010” (10 course meetings from Jan. 12 through March 16) - places an emphasis on the use of applications for the SharePoint program. By the end of the course, students will be able to develop codes, platforms, server ribbon controls, sandboxed solutions and applications that enable them to build successful solutions on the SharePoint 2010 platform.
Course instructor Jason Wei, B.S., MCT, MCSD, MCSE, MCAD, OCP, is a senior web service engineer for Toshiba America. He has 10 years of software and embedded system development experience. Over the past five years, Wei has been working on several large-scale enterprise solutions using Microsoft.NET technologies. His expertise also includes C++ and C# programming, embedded system (using Linux) design and real-time system design. He also holds 10 U.S. patents.
To register for any of the new Information Technology Studies courses, visit http://unex.uci.edu/courses/section.asp?strCL3_ID=2050&strYearTerm=1&strReqType=byTopic&strCourseLength=50&strCampus=ALL&DayOfWeek=MON&DayOfWeek=TUE&DayOfWeek=WED&DayOfWeek=THU&DayOfWeek=FRI&DayOfWeek=SAT&DayOfWeek=SUN or call 949-824-5414.
About UCI Division of Continuing Education
The University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (DCE) provides lifelong learning
opportunities to thousands of students worldwide each year – fulfilling the school’s
60-year curriculum platform to connect degree programs to the world of work and achievement after
graduation. The Division offers a broad range of certificate programs, specialized studies, and
sequential courses to local, regional and global markets through online, on-campus and on-site
delivery. A leader in the open education movement, the Division offers free
Online Open Courses (MOOCs) and content through the
UCI Open initiative.
For more information about UCI Division of Continuing Education, visit ce.uci.edu.
About the University of California, Irvine
Founded in 1965, UCI is the youngest member of the prestigious Association of American Universities.
The campus has produced three Nobel laureates and is known for its academic achievement, premier
research, innovation, and anteater mascot. Led by Chancellor Howard Gillman, UCI has more than 36,000
students and offers 222 degree programs. It’s located in one of the world’s safest and most
economically vibrant communities and is Orange County’s second-largest employer, contributing
$5 billion annually to the local economy. For more on UCI, visit