UCI Division of Continuing Education Honors Course Instructors, Advisory Committee Members and Partners at Annual Appreciation Event
Exceptional Individuals and Organization Recognized For Their Contributions
IRVINE, Calif. – December 20, 2013 – University of California, Irvine Extension recently honored course instructors, advisory committee members and a partner organization for their commitment to continuing education at the 14th Annual Instructor and Advisory Committee Member Appreciation Breakfast. Held on Dec. 13, UC Irvine Extension conferred honors in four award categories: The UCI Extension Distinguished Advisory Committee Member Award, the UCI Extension Partnership Award, the UCI Faculty Recognition Award and the UCI Extension Distinguished Instructor Award. A video of the event is available here: http://youtu.be/OsF700EAvzo
“This occasion is to thank the many people who are key to our operation at UC Irvine Extension,” said Dr. Gary W. Matkin, dean of Continuing Education, Distance Learning and Summer Session at UC Irvine. “Extension embodies the highest qualities of our course instructors and advisory members and we honor their examples of dedication and excellence seen by our students in the courses and programs offered.”
The “UCI Extension Distinguished Advisory Committee Member Award” acknowledges committee members who volunteered their time and expertise in assisting program directors with the initial and ongoing development of certificate programs. Each has lent expertise on course curriculum, providing industry insights to help align the certificate programs with emerging business needs. The recipients are:
The “UCI Extension Partnership Award,” a recognition of a business or organization that has enhanced UCI’s continuing education programs, expertise and professional skills, was presented to Ming Cai and his organization, the Guangzhou Shi Jin Sheng Consulting (H.K.) Company. As Extension worked on creating a new undergraduate and graduate preparatory program for international students, Cai demonstrated a strong understanding on how to shape these programs for students from China. Cai received the award for his continuous efforts in collaborating with UC Irvine Extension staff. His contributions have resulted in more than 300 international freshmen being accepted to UCI.
The third award category, the “UCI Faculty Recognition Award” acknowledges significant and important contributions made by a UCI faculty member. This year’s award recipients have collectively served more than 200,000 students in ten courses. The award recipients include:
- Joanne Christopherson, associate director of the UC Irvine M.A. program in Demographic and Social Analysis, and a lecturer in the School of Social Sciences;
- Zuzana Bic, tenured lecturer and the director of Student Experience in Public Health Practice in the Department of Population Health and Disease Prevention;
- Michael Dennin, professor of Physics and Astronomy; and
- Sarah Eichhorn, tenured lecturer and assistant vice chair for undergraduate studies in the Mathematics Department.
The final category is the “UCI Extension Distinguished Instructor Award” which honors the contributions of instructors who have helped UC Irvine Extension remain on the forefront of education and helped provide students with what they need to advance careers. The nine instructors to receive the awards are:
- Patricia Bravo, organizational development manager, Starbucks Coffee Company (Human Resources Management Certificate Program)
- Laszlo Retfalvi, project management consultant (Project Management Certificate Program)
- Mike Moran, marketing consultant, professional speaker and senior strategist, Converseon (Internet Marketing and Search Engine Optimization Certificate Programs)
- Kathy Miller, litigation paralegal, FedEx (Paralegal Certificate Program)
- Don Shannon, manager of training and curriculum design, HireRight (E-Learning and Instructional Design Certificate Program)
- Catherine D’Aoust, consultant, Saddleback Valley Unified School District (Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Program)
- Nancy Levine, ESL instructor, UC Irvine Extension
- Joshua Jo, senior optical engineer, Newport Corporation (Optical Engineering and Optical Instrument Design Certificate Programs)
- Kesha Smith, web development expert (Java Certificate Programs)
About UCI Division of Continuing Education
The University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (DCE) provides lifelong learning
opportunities to thousands of students worldwide each year – fulfilling the school’s
60-year curriculum platform to connect degree programs to the world of work and achievement after
graduation. The Division offers a broad range of certificate programs, specialized studies, and
sequential courses to local, regional and global markets through online, on-campus and on-site
delivery. A leader in the open education movement, the Division offers free
Online Open Courses (MOOCs) and content through the
UCI Open initiative.
For more information about UCI Division of Continuing Education, visit ce.uci.edu.
About the University of California, Irvine
Founded in 1965, UCI is the youngest member of the prestigious Association of American Universities.
The campus has produced three Nobel laureates and is known for its academic achievement, premier
research, innovation and anteater mascot. Led by Chancellor Howard Gillman, UCI has more than 28,000
students and offers 192 degree programs. Located in one of the world’s safest and most
economically vibrant communities, it’s Orange County’s second-largest employer,
contributing $4.8 billion annually to the local economy.