How do I apply to the CTC-issued Reading and Literacy Added Authorization (RLAA) program?
It is recommended that you apply to the program prior to beginning coursework. Enrollment does not constitute admission to the program. Your completion requirements are based upon when you are admitted to the program, not when you began taking coursework.
The application packet includes the following:
- A completed application form
- Copy of valid California teaching credential or credentials
- Copy of English learner authorization
- Copy of basic skills requirement
- Official verification of at least three years of successful employment on a valid California teaching credential
- Statement of Intent
Visit our application website to complete the application form and to submit the required documents stated above. Please submit the required documents in PDF format. Further details regarding the application process may be found in the Student Handbook.
How do I apply to UCI Division of Continuing Education-issued Reading Certificate program?
Download the application form. Submit the Application Form and Statement of Intent to email@example.com or mail to UCI Division of Continuing Education, Education Programs, PO Box 6050, Irvine, CA 92616-6050. Further details regarding the application process may be found in the Student Handbook.
How much does it cost?
Each online course is $525, making the total cost of tuition $3,150.
What courses are required for the program?
Approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the Reading Certificate consists of 6 online courses totaling 18 credit units. All coursework must be completed with a grade of “B” or better.
Is there a required sequence of courses?
Although there is not a required sequence of courses, all other coursework in the program must be completed before enrolling in EDUC X300.76 Reading Practicum. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course.
Advisory Board/Instructor Committee
- Lesley Clear, Lecturer, UCI Division of Continuing Education
- Jennifer De Anda, Principal, Walnut Valley USD
- Marina Michalski, Teacher, Anaheim Union High SD
- Alysia Odipo, Assistant Superintendent, Laguna Beach USD
- Dana Riggs, Academic Coach for Literacy, La Habra City SD
- Tina Witmer, Educational Consultant, Ascend Leadership & Learning, LLC.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UCI Division of Continuing Education (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.