Angela Cortright, Principal, Spa Gregories
Why should an individual consider a career in the spa and wellness industry?
As an escapee from the corporate high-tech world for 20 years, I can tell you that being in a career that cares about its staff and ultimately its guests and improves the quality of life of its customers is supremely rewarding — much more so than other “typical” lines of work.
What do you find to be the most rewarding aspect of working in this field?
Knowing that guests are in a better place physically, mentally and spiritually once they have been in your care is so uplifting.
Describe a day in the life of a spa professional.
- First thing: Make sure your team and facility have everything they need to perform at their best. Linens, refreshments, common areas, staff information, etc., are all in place.
- Look at the books: Everything in order both today and over the next few days and the weekend? Are bookings maximizing potential revenue? Are all the bookings accurate? Is business too slow or too busy?
- Look at the finances: How’s the bank balance? Bills needing to be paid, payroll ready to fund, purchase orders in order, and receivables being managed?
- Staff: Check in with your staff regularly. One-on-ones, hallway greetings, and plans for nurturing/educational/teambuilding activities.
- Marketing: Check in with your campaigns. How are they doing? Plan for upcoming promotions and tweak campaigns as needed.
- ~ take a breath ~
- Inventory: How’s the retail and professional inventory?
- Special projects: Construction, new programs, new products, new services, etc.
How do you feel the UCI Spa and Wellness Management certificate can benefit those seeking to enter or advance a career in this industry?
UCI Continuing Education’s Spa and Wellness Management program offers an outstanding platform for those interested in the industry to learn best practices and critical industry fundamentals from respected leaders in the field. It also avails students of the opportunity to tap into the decades of experience and connections that instructors possess. The program offers excellent value for the investment of time and money.